What are your barriers to connecting with alumni?
How can you overcome them & change your internal dialogue? Are you…
- Reluctant to ask for favors that you cannot repay?
People often want to “pay it forward”, especially those in the Penn State family, the largest alumni association in the world.
- A first generation college student?
Alumni support is at your fingertips (LionLink & LinkedIn alumni search) in addition to numerous supports on campus.
- From an underrepresented population?
Connect with those with which you identify for advice as well as those that are different from you.
- Financially challenged?
Studies have shown that those in a lower socioeconomic status who connect with those with more financial advantages will potentially increase their lifetime earnings by 20%.
- An introvert or find it challenging to strike up conversations with people you don’t know?
Ask for an introduction from someone or team up with a friend or student in your major.
- Tongue tied and don’t know how to convey your message?
Meet with Career Services for help.
- Challenged to find time?
Schedule time in your calendar. Invest in yourself today for long-term gains.