Penn State Brandywine welcomes alumnus as new campus police officer

MEDIA, Pa. — John Milligan recently joined Penn State Brandywine’s Office of Police and Public Safety as a campus police officer. Milligan, a 1985 Penn State graduate, spent his first two years at Brandywine before transitioning to University Park to complete his degree in business. 

“I began my college career right here, and I loved the two years I spent here,” said Milligan. “I have been thrilled to see how the campus has expanded both physically and academically over the years. It feels like coming home.”

While attending Brandywine, Milligan was a member of the Army ROTC program and the commander of Brandywine’s campus ranger club. Upon graduation, he was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the United States Army and went on to serve as an active duty infantry officer.

“Besides the top-notch education I acquired at Penn State, the Army ROTC program had a tremendous effect on the shaping and direction of my life,” he said. “I believe my future career choice of law enforcement and public safety can be directly traced to joining Army ROTC right here at Penn State Brandywine.”

After completing his term of service with the United States Army, Milligan became a career law enforcement officer for the New Jersey State Police. Over a period of 25 years, he served as a trooper, criminal investigations detective, sergeant in the special operations section and in other roles. He even obtained a master’s degree in education and human services from Seton Hall University along the way.

For Milligan, returning to Brandywine as an officer is not only a homecoming, but an extension of his lifelong commitment to public safety.

“I have been in public service my entire adult life, and I feel there is no better calling than keeping people safe and secure in their community,” he said.

Penn State also has become part of his family’s ongoing legacy. Milligan’s older daughter will be attending Penn State Berks this fall, and his younger daughter plans to apply to Penn State in the next few years. 

“I truly love this University,” said Milligan. “It is a great source of pride for me that both of my daughters plan to study here, and I hope that the experience I have gained over the last 25 years will assist the University in ensuring the students, faculty and staff have a safe and secure environment to enrich their lives.”

Contact