Brandywine engineering professor transitions to full-time position

woman with blonde hair standing in front of a tree
Credit: Megann Hedgecock

MEDIA, Pa. — Megann Hedgecock has transitioned to a full-time lecturer role in Penn State Brandywine’s engineering department after serving as an adjunct professor for five years. She earned her bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from Lehigh University and a master’s degree in structural engineering from Cornell University.

Hedgecock began her career at Brandywine in August 2018, working part-time, and has taught courses in engineering and computer science. She said she first came to Brandywine because it made her feel at home.

“I’m originally from Media, so coming to teach at Brandywine felt like coming home," Hedgecock said. "It’s fantastic to see how much it’s grown since it was Penn State Delaware County. When I’m not teaching, I really enjoy sitting in the Adirondack chairs in the green space and walking on the trails behind campus.”

When thinking about what she wanted to be when she grew up, Hedgecock said she always knew she wanted to be a professor.

“I love learning and I love teaching, helping someone see something they didn't see before,” she said. “I loved my time in school, but I loved college the most. It’s so much fun to be back on a college campus. There is so much energy — kinetic and potential! There are so many things to learn, so many people with whom to engage. It’s thrilling to be part of that on a daily basis.”

As a full-time lecturer, Hedgecock said she is most looking forward to getting to know students on a more personable level.

“I’m most looking forward to getting to know the students even more than I did as an adjunct. Being part of the advising journey will be a neat addition for me,” she said. “I’m really happy to be a part of the vibrant and growing engineering and computer science programs. I’m so excited to continue to teach material I enjoy and work with faculty, staff and students I already love.”