Brandywine welcomes new administrative and stewardship coordinator

Lady wearing white shirt leaning on a bridge
Credit: Penn State

Name: Shawna Naylor

Title: Administrative and Stewardship Coordinator

Department: Campus Development and Alumni Relations

Shawna Naylor joined Penn State Brandywine as the new administrative and stewardship coordinator for the campus development and alumni relations office in March. She graduated from Holy Family University with her bachelor’s degree in education and received her master’s degree in publishing from Rosemont College. Coming from Coebourn Elementary in the Penn-Delco School District, Naylor is excited to become a part of the Brandywine community and form connections with her colleagues and students.

Brandywine: What is your background and previous experience?

Naylor: I come from an educational background. I’ve taught in a public school and worked in public libraries. When I was in the public school system, I taught first-, second- and third-grade special education. Then, I transitioned those skills to a public library, where I coordinated daily programs for our young library patrons.

Brandywine: What was your deciding factor in coming to work for Penn State Brandywine?

Naylor: When I look at my previous experiences, everything has been very community-based, and Penn State Brandywine is very much its own community and part of the Delaware County community as a whole. I love being part of the fabric of a community and nurturing that sense of togetherness. Coming to Brandywine was a unique challenge for me because while it is a small school, it’s part of a larger institution and has a ripple effect at the state, national and even global levels. I thought it was a really exciting opportunity for me to challenge myself a bit.

I love being part of the fabric of a community and nurturing that sense of togetherness.

—Shawna Naylor , administrative and stewardship coordinator

Brandywine: What are you looking forward to most during your time at Brandywine?

Naylor: I’m really looking forward to building relationships with my colleagues and the students. I’m really getting to engage with people and be an active member of the Brandywine community. I’m also looking forward to working on different initiatives within my jobs that will have a positive impact on the students.

Brandywine: What are some goals you’d like to accomplish during your time at Brandywine?

Naylor: I want to be integrated into the Brandywine community and also have more interaction with students in a more formal capacity. I want to get the chance to mentor students here and help them navigate through college.

Brandywine: Before coming to Brandywine, you worked in primary education. What made you decide to make the leap from primary to higher education?

Naylor: I wanted to challenge my skillset. I think in education, whether it’s little kindergarteners or the young adults here at a college level, some foundations are universal across the board. Within each division of the educational sector, there are unique needs and challenges. I’m excited to see how I can mold my experience in primary education to the unique needs that higher education requires.

Brandywine: What is your favorite aspect of working in education as a whole?

Naylor: For me, it’s seeing growth. For example, I enjoy seeing something click in kindergarteners’ brains and just know how to read. I enjoy seeing college seniors graduating. Both of those things are growth. Even having a small hand in a student’s achievement is really motivating and inspiring. I love seeing those full-circle moments.

Even having a small hand in a student’s achievement is really motivating and inspiring. I love seeing those full-circle moments.

Brandywine: What are some of your interests? What do you enjoy doing outside of work?

Naylor: I’m an avid reader. I love to read books. I say I don’t know anything that’s happening in popular culture or don’t know the latest shows because I use my free time to read. I love to read fiction books, and I’m trying to push myself to read some nonfiction and step outside my comfort zone a bit. I also love to bake. I’m trying to get into decorating and making my desserts look fancy and pretty.

When I’m not at work, I spend time with my family. I really enjoy baking with my kids because we get to collaborate on it together. I also love traveling with them. We love going to the beach. We’re down at the Jersey Shore most weekends over the summer. Give us some sand and waves and we’re a bunch of happy people.

Brandywine: Is there anything you would like to add? Anything you would like people to know about you?

Naylor: My door’s always open, and I’m always here to help. The college experience is a collective journey amongst everyone here on campus. It’s important for students to use as many resources as they can to navigate themselves through college. I just hope I can be a person here on campus that they can use to help move them forward.