Waller promoted to academic adviser at Brandywine

Georgina Waller smiling in front of a pink background

Georgina Waller

Credit: Georgina Waller

Georgina Waller, former administrative support assistant for Penn State Brandywine’s Advising and Career Services office, was recently promoted to academic adviser. In this role, she provides support to students with course selection, helps resolve academic issues and monitors students’ academic performance.

“I wanted to become an adviser because I wanted to serve students and their families at a greater capacity,” Waller explained. “I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for the faculty and the many higher ed professionals who've really helped me through my own academic journey. And I want to be able to do the same for our students.”

She mentioned how much she enjoys working in higher education, specifically at Penn State. She believes in higher education’s purpose and value, and she wants students to make the most out of what it and Penn State has to offer.

Waller also commented about how the job of an academic adviser can be difficult and fulfilling at the same time. “I have the utmost respect for academic advisers because of what it takes to fulfill our roles effectively,” she said. “Being able to keep up with policies and University requirements for an institution as large as Penn State, while also being personable, accommodating, and quick to think, is challenging yet rewarding.”

“I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for the faculty and the many higher ed professionals who've really helped me through my own academic journey. And I want to be able to do the same for our students.”

—Georgina Waller , academic adviser

Robin Stokes, director of advising and career services at Brandywine, is glad to have Waller in this role after working with her the past three years.

“Georgina had been working as the administrative assistant in the office since February 2020, right before the pandemic swept the country, after her experience working in other academic support offices at area colleges,” Stokes said. “In her prior role in administrative support, she supported advising, career services, and new student orientation, and demonstrated empathy as well as a keen eye for detail, and of course the ability to quickly solve problems.”

Stokes also mentioned how Waller is very well-liked by her advisees. “Penn State is a complex place, and she has successfully moved into her academic advising role due to her dedication, prior knowledge of Penn State systems, and her connections to the students at Brandywine. Her advisees ask for her by name!”

In her new position, Waller is looking forward to creating a positive environment for students while also being upfront about their academic progress.

“I'm excited to see students’ progress toward their academic goals, especially those who are experiencing unique challenges while striving to reach their goals,” she mentioned. “I'm curious to see what they'll discover about themselves during their time at Penn State and the changes they'll make moving forward.”

Waller received her bachelor’s degree in organizational behavioral health from Immaculata University and her master’s degree in higher education administration from Penn State. While obtaining her graduate degree, she received the Region 2 Conference Graduate Student Scholarship Award from the National Academic Advising Association.