THORNTON SCORES 2000 CAREER POINTS

On January 19, 2008, as seconds on the clock continued to tick down, Mike Thornton, a Penn State Brandywine senior, launched the shot that would give him 2,000 career points.

"It was a crazy feeling. My whole family and all of my friends all came out to support me," recalls Mike. "I'm a sensitive guy so I had a lump in my throat as everyone applauded me."

Thinking about that memorable day, Mike says he owes it to his teammates.  "My teammates are always the ones passing the ball to me and having faith in me."  Mike also credits his coach. "Coach Kasmer has always given me the green light and believed in me. He's a great guy and I am very happy to have spent four years playing for him."

According to Coach Kasmer, "Mike is one of those special players that you only get to coach once in a coaching career. As you can imagine, I am very proud of Mike.  He has not only scored 2,000 points but he has done it in an unselfish, team-first way.  Mike is a consummate leader, both on and off the court."

"The mountain most college basketball players try to climb is only 1,000 points high.  Mike's passing of 2,000 points against Penn State New Kensington places him in the rarefied air that only a few select players get to breathe.  Mike is the only player in Penn State Brandywine's history to reach this summit," expresses Jim Gastner, Penn State Brandywine's Athletic Director, "I join everyone in the Penn State Brandywine athletic community in saluting Mike and his teammates who helped make his success possible."

A graduate of Monsignor Bonner High School in Drexel Hill, Mike continues to focus on what will help his team. "You need to stay positive, never look down on anyone and most importantly, pick someone up when he's down," he said.

Might a basketball career be in his future? Mike says he is going to try. But for now, he says his main focus is, "trying to bring the championship home to Penn State Brandywine."

--Jaclyn Damato

Click here for the Delaware County Daily Times story.