Caprice reaches 1,000 point Milestone for Penn State Brandywine

Marple Newtown High School basketball prodigy Bobbi Caprice reached a career landmark on Friday, Jan. 11 when she scored her 1,000th point for Penn State Brandywine.

The four-year starting guard was five points away from reaching the milestone before Friday night's game but reached her goal a mere 10 minutes into the first half to help Brandywine in a 65-48 home win over Penn State Schuylkill.

"It was a bit nerve wracking going into the game because all my family and friends were there, but I felt confident having five points to go," said Caprice. "Once I hit my first shot it was a relief to know I only needed one more basket." She becomes only the fifth women's basketball player to reach this goal in campus history.

Larry Johnson, coach of the Brandywine women's basketball team, has lead the Lady Lions to a 10-6 overall record and a 7-0 conference record this season. "It takes a lot of hard work to get yourself in a position to be able to be a 1,000 point scorer," Johnson said. "Bobbi is what Penn State Brandywine basketball is all about -- hard work in the classroom and on the court."

Caprice, a senior, will graduate in May with a bachelor's degree in human development and family studies. Upon graduating she plans to pursue a master's degree and hopes to become a high school guidance counselor. 

-by Mike McDade