Instructions on how to use the online session:
- Register and sign in at https://brandywine.mywconline.com
- On the schedule, look for tutors with OWL next to their name; for example, “Andrew – OWL”. Alternatively, look for open appointment slots from 7-9 p.m. Sunday through Wednesday.
- Schedule an appointment slot by clicking on the white box and filling out the requested information.
- Log back onto the system about 5 minutes before your appointment and click on your appointment time (your online appointment will appear in orange). Logging on a few minutes early will give you time to import your document before the start of the session.
- Click on “Start or Join Online Consultation” (this should be in red in the middle of the appointment form).
- A new window will open. This window includes an interactive whiteboard space on the left side and a chat bar on the right side. You will know your tutor has joined the session when a 2 appears in the box with people at the top right of the screen.
- If it is your first time using the whiteboard space, please read through the directions. This text will be replaced once you import a document.
- Interactive Whiteboard:
- Both you and your tutor can use the chat on the right-hand side and you can both write in the whiteboard space
- The buttons at the top left provide formatting options (bold, italics, underlining, strikethrough, numbered/bulleted list, indenting, undo, redo etc.). You can use these to mark up your draft.
- The buttons at the top right provide other functions, including a drawing tool, video camera (which is not currently in use), import/export a document, playback, help, and “people.”
- Use the chat area on the right-hand side to explain the assignment prompt and your questions/concerns, and to interact with your tutor during the session.
- On the top left, use the button with two arrows to import a document to the whiteboard space. When you do this, the text in the space will be replaced with your document. Special formatting on a document will disappear when imported. If your document has special formatting that you want to discuss with your tutor, return to the schedule screen and click on the yellow folder that appears under “Welcome [Name].” You can attach your document there and link it to your appointment. Your tutor will then be able to access it and chat about it with you.
- Clicking on the “people” button on the top right will enable you to choose a particular color for yourself. This color will highlight any additions you make to the document in the whiteboard space.
- Refer to the line numbers on the left side of the screen to identify sections you wish to discuss. Alternatively, you may use bold, italics, underlining, or strikethrough to highlight areas that you wish to discuss with your tutor.
- You can use the same button with the two arrows to export your document at the end of the session. If you do this, though, please remember that the formatting may have changed and anything you or your tutor have written on the document will be present in the exported document. This means that you a). may need to reformat your document and b). will need to proofread carefully to remove any notes you took or feedback your tutor gave during the session.
- If you’d like to review what you and your tutor worked on during your OWL session at a later date, you can always return to your appointment on the schedule and re-join the online session. To find an earlier session on the schedule, use the “Prev Week” button or the calendar icon at the top of the schedule.