The certificate program in Business and Professional Writing is designed for adult learners (degreed or non-degreed) who seek a competitive edge in the workforce.
The program provides an opportunity for practical, professional development for adults who aspire to improve their creative thinking skills and to become more effective communicators in our information-driven economy. The program can be completed for 12-15 undergraduate credits or a non-credit professional development certificate.
The curriculum, taught by award-winning Penn State faculty, includes lessons on technical writing, proposals, reports, and presentations common to business, industry and government; and Web-based writing, including the analysis and composition of informative, persuasive, and creative Web texts.
Who Should Enroll?
- Employees who desire professional development for a current or future job
- Entrepreneurs/Consultants who are interested in building writing and publishing credentials
- Career changers
- Web writers
- Sales and Marketing professionals
- Professionals in the technical writing field
Program Benefits for the individual learner:
- Improves your written communication skills for greater effectiveness and marketability in a current or future job
- A powerful addition to your resume, helping you stand out in the crowd of job applicants
- A door-opener to a multitude of careers
- Builds expertise for those who intend to write or publish as part of their professional credentials or marketing efforts
- Builds a foundation for continuing toward a degree
Program Benefits for the organization:
- Improves the internal communications and organizational efficiency which is critical for a competitive advantage in the external marketplace
- Supports the vision and mission of the organization through enhanced communication skills
- Builds a “bench strength” of effective communicators within current or future organizational leaders
- Supports your employee retention efforts through higher educational opportunities
ENGL 015 Rhetoric and Composition (3 credits – The need to register for this course will be determined by an incoming assessment)
Instruction and practice in writing expository prose that shows sensitivity to audience and purpose.
ENGL 202D Effective Writing: Business Writing (3 credits)
Writing reports and other common types of business communication.
ENGL 202C Effective Writing: Technical Writing (3 credits)
Writing for students in scientific and technical disciplines.
ENGL 420 Writing for the Web (3 credits)
ENGL 419 Advanced Business Writing (3 credits)
Preparing and editing reports and presentations common to business, industry, and government.
ENGL 479 Business or Technical Writing Practicum (3 credits)
English 479 requires students to utilize their skills as writers and their knowledge of the requirements and conventions of business or technical writing to prepare a portfolio project.
The program can be completed for 12-15 undergraduate credits.
For more information, please contact the Continuing Education office at Penn State Brandywine:
610-892-1300 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Health Professions