- Are you interested in pursuing an Engineering degree, but concerned about your math and science skills?
- Do you want to learn more about the kinds of job opportunities available to science professionals?
- Do you want to get an advance start on the fall semester, and get to meet some of your future instructors in the process?
- Are you interested in earning one college course credit, free of charge?
The Campus College Connection Program (C3P) is aimed at providing incoming S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) majors with a foundation in the math and science skills they’ll need to succeed. If you’ve been accepted to Penn State, and are interested in pursuing a degree in the natural sciences or engineering, the Campus College Connection is for you. The program features:
- A one week program taught by Engineering, Physics, Chemistry and Computer Science faculty where a variety of workshops and team building activities will introduce students to STEM courses.
- A summer enrichment program that features individualized academic preparation in math, writing, and academic coping skills.
- A one-credit college course (SOAR) offered the week before fall classes begin, which introduces students to both the Brandywine campus and the University as a whole.
- Professional education and development through visits to local engineering firms.
View the seminar schedule for the Campus College Connection
Enrollment in the Campus College Connection will open January 1, 2013 through June 30, 2013. Seminar sessions begin July 8, 2013, so complete your application early!
Campus College Connection FAQs
How much does the program cost?
For students receiving the Campus College Connection Scholarship, the program will be offered at no charge. These students will be enrolled in a FREE one-credit course (a $580 value) that will be added to their fall semester schedule after completion of the summer program (students must be signed up for a minimum of 12 credits in the fall in order to qualify for the free credit). The fee for the summer enrichment program will be waved (a $250 value). Students will also receive up to a $250 scholarship that will be added to their tuition account upon completion of the Campus College Connection program.
All other non-C3P scholarship students enrolled in a STEM major may attend LAUNCH and SOAR for only $150.
How long does the program last?
Program activities end in late August, before the beginning of the fall semester. The relationships that participants build with their faculty mentors, however, will last well beyond the end of the program.
Does this mean I lose my summer vacation?
No. The seminar sessions are conducted on a fixed schedule, but the LAUNCH Summer Enrichment Program allows students to complete their work in a timeframe that’s amenable to their schedules. Students will be able to take vacations, work, and pursue other interests while completing the summer enrichment program.
Will I be given a lot of work in these seminars?
Most of your assignments will be completed during the actual seminar sessions. The point of these seminars is to provide students with a foundation of necessary math and science skills, not make them do the work of an entire college course.
How will the site visits actually help me?
Not only will students get a chance to see exactly what engineering professionals do, they will also have the opportunity to make some advantageous contacts with real engineering firms looking to hire eventual graduates.
How will I earn “one course credit” through the program?
All program participants will be enrolled in the one-credit SOAR course at no cost. This one-week course (8/19-8/21/2013) will provide an overview of the Penn State University system. The one-credit course will be added to your fall roster, and successful completion will earn you an “A” grade.
What if I’m interested in science, but not engineering?
Students interested in the natural sciences can also benefit from the Campus College Connection. The program is open to all STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) majors.
How to Apply
Campus College Connection Timeline and Important Dates
|SEMINAR SESSIONS||7/8/2013 - 7/11/2013|
|8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.|
|Times vary depending on your schedule|
|PROFESSIONAL SITE VISIT||TBA|
|S.O.A.R. PROGRAM||8/19/2013 - 8/21/2013|
|9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.|
- Academic Resources